Friday, January 11, 2013

The overflowing wardrobe

I made a definite resolution to clean my wardrobe last Diwali. I share a 2BHK accommodation with 3 other friends. However the lazy bums that we are…we never take care of maintaining the room in a decent state. each of us would blame the other for not maintaining the room in a decent state. so after much fuss we  agreed to go through the process of change aka cleaning up our room of two.
Now, all said and done I did enter the process of shaping my room after a year or so. Both me and my room mate are sport freaks. this causes us to participate in  ritual sport activities. now this has a disastrous effect on the room ambiance with tshirts and undergarments surrounding our beds. I do have a decent wardrobe where I organize my office clothes. But then habits are habits. It didn’t take too much time for that to         overflow as well. Now if you can do imagine a scenario if a key or an important object  like a purse gets lost. frankly its a torture. not only do these thing happen when u start ur day a causing a severe headache. those piles of clothes have to be moved up and down and you end up finding a needle in a haystack. And wat’s with men and shoes. I seem to be having a vast array of them which includes running shoes, formal shoes, casual ones, white canvas, brown leather etc etc. Finally, I did put myself in my shoes and put a thinking hat, literally and mulled over the situation.
Just arrange it..my heart said . But, my brain battled on thinking its not a simple arrangement that is the solution. It wanted to probe deeper. And then I had it. I cautiously started counting all my clothes and classified them to the exact count in the table. I had not only spilled but overflown my needs. The count of tshirts only came to 50 and counting the other garments I stared at a grim figure crossing a century and high above.I had clearly no need for such an excess. And I took one of the most difficult decisions for which I still repent today. I cut down the excess. I had been accumulating and itwas time to let go.
Now this does look to be a simple exercise. But I started realizing that I was just not able to part with my clothes. On the first iteration I barely scratched out anything. Lot of these were personal gifts and parting with them was not easy. With more determination and after much heart burns…it was done a very trimmed list and a bunch of load of clothes to donate. Donate I did…foolishly to my watchman.
Its always good to cut down on excesses. Maybe we need such exercises in books, personal relations, movies etc. But as my watchman washes the cars wearing my favourite rock t-shirt..I think its more of a rogue to be condemned to watch what once was your favourites on somebody else. Nah…can never digest that somehow. Atleast, no close donations for me next time……

No comments: